Thursday 5 December 2013

My thoughts on Wonder Woman appearing in Batman Vs. Superman

As every regular internet user will now know, it has been confirmed that Wonder Woman will indeed be making an appearance in the Man of Steel sequel. After being a plethora of rumors over the last few months, it feels surreal to finally have a piece of concrete information regarding the film, although I have to say that I'm not too sure about the inclusion of Wonder Woman in the film.


First of all I want to say that I love Wonder Woman. She's one of my all time favourite comic book characters, but what we need to remember is that this is (or was) supposed to be a film about Batman and Superman and I think that adding too much extra stuff like this will just lead to a jumbled film with a lack of focus. Obviously, Warner Bros. are keen to quickly expand the DC cinematic universe, but if they want to replicate the box office domination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they really need to take their time with the films, not just to make sure the films are of a high quality, but also to make sure that these hugely loved characters are done justice (no pun intended).

I'm all for a cameo from Wonder Woman in the film, in order to set up her own film or a Justice League adaptation, but the fact that they have announced her appearance and an actress (Gal Gadot) so far ahed of the film's release suggests that her role will be more than that

The focus of this film should be on Batman and Superman's relationship and whichever villain they end up fighting. With this news, I get the impression more that Warner Bros. really are desperate to get the Justice League movie out within the next three years or so, and there's a chance that this will have a negative impact on the quality of the films.

However, I'm sure that Warner Bros. are aware of the points I've made (I know they won't have been revelations to any film fan) and that they probably wouldn't take risks like this without them being confident in the final product, if they do intend to go head-to-head with Marvel at the box office.

So, even though I'm skeptical about adding another big character to an already huge movie, I'm still drooling with anticipation over the film and I'll be reserving my complete opinion until I finally see the film. Expect a review in 2015! {edit: the film has now been delayed to 2016, so we must wait longer still!}

Click here to see my Man of Steel review.

Follow me on Twitter: @danj_101

No comments:

Post a Comment